Tender meat, creamy sauce, dreamy noodles, and little effort? This recipe checks all the boxes!
I always loved beef stroganoff nights growing up. My mom and grandma made a delicious stovetop version that would simmer to tender perfection for hours. We would typically put it over noodles, but sometimes we would put it over rice and that was super tasty as well.
Ever on the lookout for more Instant Pot recipes, I decided to give this classic comfort food a try. This recipe is super family-friendly and the perfect quick-fix, healthy meal for a busy evening. We are talking one pot and done, friends 👊🏼.
Who do we thank for Beef Stroganoff? i.e. Origins of Beef Stroganoff
This dish is thought to have originated in Russia. Produced for the affluent Stroganov family by their French chefs. (Side note – my French chefs have never prepared this for me, not once. Yours?) It was included in a classic Russian cookbook published in 1871 entitled, “A Gift to Young Housewives”. Today there are so many variations of stroganoff that have evolved over time and location. We have the Stroganov’s French chefs to thank for the original recipe which provides the basis of beef stroganoff as we enjoy it today!
Beef Stroganoff easy recipe from scratch
In this recipe, there will be no canned cream soups used. I’ve pretty much eliminated my use of canned cream soups in life and I have to admit, I don’t miss them. Beef stroganoff is super simple to make from scratchier scratch with common ingredients. I used top sirloin as the meat in this dish. Many other recipes call for stew meat. You could easily make that substitution, but I can vouch that the top sirloin was delicious and tender. At the very end, you can add the traditional sour cream or substitute plain (whole milk) greek yogurt. Do not skimp on calories here! The additional fat in the whole milk variety of plain greek yogurt helps to protect your delicious dinner from curdling when you mix the yogurt with the piping hot ingredients in the Instant Pot.
Enough talking, let’s get to making beef stroganoff in the Instant Pot for dinner! (Unless your French chefs are taking care of that, mine have the night off 😘.)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1.5 pounds top sirloin, cut into strips
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 ounce wide egg noodles
- 3/4 cup whole milk greek yogurt or sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil on saute mode on your Instant Pot. Working in two batches, add beef and cook until evenly browned, about 3-4 minutes; set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, mushrooms and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together beef broth, Worcestershire, dijon mustard, and flour. Add to the meat mixture
- Close and lock the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the timer for 10 minutes on high pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Release pressure CAREFULLY using the quick-release method (turn to VENTING position and remove lid once float valve drops). Open pressure cooker, stir in egg noodles. Seal and bring to high pressure again for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure naturally according to manufacturer's instruction for 3 minutes. Release remaining pressure CAREFULLY using the quick-release method (turn to VENTING position and remove lid once float valve drops). Open pressure cooker.
- Stir in sour cream or yogurt. Salt and pepper as desired.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 468mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gProtein: 25g
Common searches for similar recipes
- quick and easy beef stroganoff instant pot
- instant pot beef stroganoff keto
- instant pot beef stroganoff recipe with cream of mushroom soup
- instant pot beef stroganoff this old gal